Conference Minister Job Description
Ohio Conference is an historic Anabaptist faith community of 51 congregations and over 6,500 worshipping members across Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. We are looking for a transformational leader who will equip us to navigate opportunities and challenges for the church today. Interest in Anabaptism is rising and Ohio Conference wants a Conference Minister to help reimagine our current organizational structure and witness. The new Conference Minister will lead us in joyful and faithful obedience to God’s kingdom in an Anabaptist/ Mennonite expression of Mennonite Church USA (MC USA). We invite women and men from all cultural backgrounds to apply.
Time Requirement: .50 time (25 hours or 2.5 days per week)
Term of Employment: Three years, potentially renewable, with an annual review by Leadership Team
Reports to: Leadership Team of Ohio Conference
Benefits: Adhere to MC USA salary guidelines, including transportation, health, and retirement benefits
- Mature: Lives a life faithful to the Gospel and MC USA ministerial guidelines. Previous church leadership experience preferred.
- Pastoral: Passionate about the church and its mission. Preferably credentialed within MC USA/ MC Canada or willing to be credentialed for specific ministry by Ohio Conference
- Reconciler: Skillfully moves toward any conflict that arises and facilitates resolution.
- Servant Leader: Humble, approachable, listens well, and inspires trust and confidence.
- Relational: Relates well with others. Understands the context of Ohio Conference.
- Collaborative: Possesses a shared understanding of leadership and success.
- Effective communicator: Clear, concise speaker/ writer who accepts being the conference face.
- Supervise Ohio Conference staff, equipping them to carry out their responsibilities by:
- Aligning ministry teams, resource teams and staff
- Overseeing budget planning
- Working with regional pastors to nurture relationships within Ohio Conference
- Linking congregations to Ministry Development Team
- Cast a vision for Ohio Conference with Leadership Team to:
- Communicate the vision and conference activity to congregations
- Implement the vision by changing Ohio Conference’s structure and staffing levels to reflect our new vision
- Regularly meet with regional pastors and missional consultant
- Plan for the business agenda of Ohio Conference’s Annual Conference Assembly each March
- Plan and lead biannual regional cluster meetings alongside Ohio Conference staff
- Advise Credentialing Ministry Team to:
- Oversee continuing education for ministers and implement best practices
- Communicate any credentialing variances within MC USA to Credentialing Ministry Team.
- Administer misconduct policy and secure outside resources for assistance
- Represent Ohio Conference at regular meetings, including Constituency Leaders Council meetings of MC USA, National Conference Minister meetings, and Mid-States meetings
- Model and promote a healthy work-life balance.
To download a PDF of this job description, click here: Ohio Conference Minister – Job Description