In Matthew 28, Jesus called for his disciples to make disciples of others. But the call to make disciples continues today. You are invited to join others in the Ohio Conference who are participating in the Missional Discipleship Initiative (https://www.mennonitemission.net/MDI).
What is the Missional Discipleship Initiative (MDI)?
MDI is an initiative launched by Marvin Lorenzana and Mennonite Mission Network to help local congregations engage intentional-relational disciple-making as well as leadership development by providing coaching and tools that have proven to be effective and highly transferrable. One of these tools is a virtual Learning Circle or Huddle and the other is Missional Discipleship Groups.
Virtual Learning Circle (MDI Cohort)
- Online coaching for a group of three to five (usually pastors) for a period of eight months.
- Meet twice a month with the purpose of learning missional church theory and practice.
- The MDI coach monitors, encourages, and further equips the Implementing Leaders.
Missional Discipleship Groups (MDGs)
- Meet once a week to learn how to walk together as disciples of Jesus
- Provide the context in which discipleship takes place in an intentional and relational way
- Focus on accountability, Scripture reading, and prayer
- Call participants to pray for others and engage in mission in their own context
Five Key Questions
Below are five key questions that are used in missional discipleship group meetings each week.
- Where have you seen God at work this week?
- What did you hear God say to you this week during your prayer time?
- What have you learned from the assigned Scripture reading this week?
- How have you shared the love of Jesus with others this week?
- Where have you fallen short this week?
Expectations for Participants in MDGs
- Meet once a week (for 8-12 months)
- Show vulnerability
- Make sure discipleship is taking place
- Ensure and protect confidentiality
- Facilitators participate in a monthly resourcing meeting
Expectations for Pastors Participating in MDI
- Meet twice a month online for a virtual huddle with your cohort of pastors (for eight months)
- Organize monthly meeting with facilitators of MDGs in your church
- Participate weekly in a MDG
How to Participate
If you have any questions or may be interested in participating, please contact Jacob Dodson at firstname.lastname@example.org. New MDI cohorts are launching in October, and new MDGs can be launched at any time.