Seminary hosts online forum series on navigating ministry during COVID-19
Eastern Mennonite Seminary is hosting Navigating Ministry During COVID-19, a free online forum series for pastors. All forums will be live via Zoom on Wednesdays, from 3-4:30 p.m. EDT.
The series is an outgrowth of an April 1 online gathering that drew 32 pastors, including 22 alumni, representing Mennonite Church USA, the Church of the Brethren, Presbyterian Church USA and United Methodist Church.
The first session on April 15 focused on pastoral care and included a facilitated discussion on grief/loss without physical presence, caring for others from a distance, and caring for ourselves
April 29: Spiritual formation for pastoral resilience
- Signs of pastoral fatigue, spiritual practices to sustain the pastor
May 13: Understanding trauma and secondary trauma
- Supporting front-line responders and recognizing secondary trauma
May 27: Theological questions during anxious times
- Support for navigating theological issues associated with the pandemic
June 10: Ethical issues of medical care
- Issues of access, justice and understanding the medical system during the pandemic
June 24: Biblical resources for despair and hope
- Biblical literature that gives voice to human despair and theologically responsible use of scripture for hope in life and death
Facilitators are drawn from seminary professors, clinical pastoral education staff and the seminary’s large group of alumni working in ministry.